Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A la playa...to the beach!

We've been able to go to the beach a couple of times this past week. The only difference between a beach here and the ones in the states? People don't come up to you every 20 minutes and try to tell you something.

 I have not yet taken a photo of these vendors, as I feel weird and even more like a tourist by doing so, but I pulled this off the internet:

They sell anything from candy, to drinks, to beach merchandise. The above picture is a wheelbarrow of candy. Men will literally push these through the sand, going up and down the beach, trying to sell their goods. On their candies, they put either a chile powder, or some type of chile sauce on them. They put this stuff on everything, even their fruit. Last night we bought a pizza at Little Caesars and it came with this chile powder in small packs. As much as I want to experience the culture, I can't bring myself to try these combinations with chile powder. I hate chile powder and feel like I would just spit it back out. They sure do like it here though.
The waves here are unlike anything I've seen before. They can get big, but they come into shore at this weird angle. The shore itself is full of little humps. When you stand and the waves come in, you can't stand straight or still. The sand beneath you moves so quickly, and the shoreline changes shape with each wave.

On Saturday, a couple of Americans were playing kind of far out in the waves. A lifeguard went over to them and talked to them. We have no idea what he said to them, but they didn't go very far into the water afterwards. I am not sure if its a strong current or what, but we have followed what the locals do: we do not go very far past the shoreline.

Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe there's sharks out there too? 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that too! I hope its just the current though!

      Delete
    2. Love the beard! Maybe Americans should start selling ketchup packets with candy and pizza....just saying, maybe we're missing out...

      Delete
    3. Yes, or ranch packets! Well, I guess those come with pizza, but I'm sure candy would be that much better too.

      Delete