Monday, July 27, 2015

Downtown Tijuana


On Thursday we went with Jorge to downtown Tijuana. He took us to a sit down restaurant where a Mariachi band played. I saw on he menu that they served rabbit. This surprised me, but I guess it is a normal thing.

Eric ordered enchiladas, I ordered chicken, and Jorge ordered beef. When our meal came, I started right into my chicken. Jorge sat waiting and picked at the complimentary chips. I thought to myself, "why isn't he eating?" Then a few minutes later the waitress brought the warm tortillas that were to accompany our meal. Well I felt like an idiot. I was supposed to eat my meal with these tortillas! I know I already stick out, but the least I can do is follow the customs of Mexico! Feeling a little sheepish, I quickly grabbed a tortilla and made myself a chicken burrito.

We then made our way to the local catholic church. Jorge is catholic and on one other occasion Eric accompanied him so he could go and pray.



 We walked around, looking around the city. Sure there were some nice areas, but overall, it is a very dirty city. Eric and I both agree that we wouldn't be walking around this area without a Mexican accompanying us.

Eric was careful about putting our valuables in his front pockets. He kept his hands in them most of the time as well. This precaution paid off! He felt a young woman reach her hand in his back pocket while she walked by him. Luckily she had nothing to show for her "hard days work."


We got to see a few street performers.


A donkey painted like a zebra (sad) so that tourists can sit on it with a big sombrero and get their pictures taken.

We made our way towards the arch ( a monument in the city).


FYI getting Jorge to be in this picture with us was like pulling teeth. That is why most of the pictures with him in this blog are taken from behind! haha.

You can see this arch from San Diego. Its weird to think about how close the USA was being in this city.

Speaking of the boarders being close-we had quite an experience last week. We went to the San Diego temple (by the way, the celestial room is gorgeous, I've never seen a prettier one). As we crossed the boarder into Mexico to head back, we saw three men (I'd say in their 20s) jump over the barbwire Mexican wall, cross the street we were on, and shimmy up a light pole and hop the wall over into the US. It all happened so fast. We were already in Mexico so we couldn't really call 911. I'm positive boarder control caught them, as they have sensors everywhere. I think these guys knew what they were doing though. They were fast, and had no problem getting up that light pole.

1 comment: