Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Advertising and Friends!


 I have found this very interesting. How do they advertise events in the city here? By painting walls alongside street.
Once the event has passed, they paint over it and advertise for the new coming attraction!

We learned about the local carnival this way, which is now going on. I think we are going to be attending it this week with Eric's friends, which we hung out with the other day.

We went to another Toro's game with them. Eric's work provides free tickets to the game, so its a cheap way to spend your evening. The two guys in the picture are Fred (far left) and Ernie (center). They lived with Eric in the Cannon house, the place where Eric lived for two months until I came out. Next to Fred, is his girlfriend, Michelle.


Both Fred and Ernie live in the US, and stay in Tijuana for the work week, returning to their homes on the weekend. Michelle is a local. She learned very good English just by watching TV. She loves where she is from. After the game, she took us around Tijuana, showing us the nicer areas of the city. There are some very modern buildings, and statues, including the pride of the city: the new soccer stadium.

Tijuana is not what I thought it would be. Sure its dangerous, but you just have to know where not to be, like any city. After talking to people at Eric's work, many come from more rural parts of Mexico to TJ (its what the locals call it) because it is a growing economic city. There are many jobs available. So, you won't find a mix of cultures, but you will find a mix of Mexicans here. We've gone to a couple of really nice malls and areas. I think I was too quick to judge what I heard. I think TJ is actually a very nice city.

I know I talk a lot about food, but it such a huge part of the culture. Below is a picture of elote (which actually translates to the little corn hairs found on corn. The Chileans would tell me that I had elote hair). It is corn, Parmesan cheese, butter, and lemon juice, all mixed together. I will definitely be having it again before we leave as it is very good!



2 comments:

  1. Is the elite served warm? It looks a little questionable😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is warm. They could take out some of the juice, as it is literally swimming in it. But you could try making this at home and see fr yourself!

    ReplyDelete